History of the City of Hamburg
Shortly after the signing and finalization of the Indian treaties of Mendota and Traverse des Sioux in 1852, the government opened the land for settlement. A large number of German immigrants moved into the area of the Hamburg community. However, the city was non-existent, until 1881, when the Minneapolis and St. Louis Railway was built, designating a "stopping place" at the site. J.D. Roeders, original owner of the townsite, soon started platting the town naming the streets after his daughters, Sophia; Maria; Henrietta and Louisa and these names still are used, as well as many of the first buildings in the city.
In 1897, the city was incorporated when the required population of 150 was attained. However the first official council meetings were not held until 1900.
Early businesses in the city were general stores, a blacksmith shop, hardware store and of course, the local "refreshment parlor".
The railroad furnished many more businesses to spring up; a sawmill, harness shop, draying, and even a hotel.
Hamburg is located in a rich agricultural area, often referred to as "The Golden Buckle of the Dairy Belt".